Thursday, December 18, 2014

Seasone en Vieux: What I do Know Brava Gwen Smith

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The last three weeks putting together this exhition together, something that normally takes months to plan & flesh out have had a number of serendipitous moments.
 
Many people have re-entered my life, others were ushered into my life...
 
This young woman was one that was ushered in by happenstance as I was rapidly trying to make this puzzle fit in a short period of time with no budget, an abundance of ideas and with help from seasoned neighbors and other who cheered it on.
 
One afternoon, a week ago Gwen Smith walked into what we now called Galerie 1501 with another artist who was dropping off her art work.  I mistakenly assume Gwedolyn was with her only to find out later they didn't. Upon chatting awhile I learned she is a graduate of NOCCA and was classically trained. I told her what we were doing there in this pop up gallery and what I had envisioned for this Friday event.
 
My gut instinct was screaming that there was something extra special about this woman andhow she comported herself. I asked her if she was willing to come and perform without having heard a single note.   After we "talked turkey" on impulse, I asked her if she could sing just a few bars honoring the fact that she was not properly warmed up.  My mouth dropped when she did a bit of "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" by composer Henry "Harry" Thacker Burleigh.
 
I had not realized that I had started tearing up, as I was absolutely moved. The other artists listening to her were crying openly.
 
This is no doubt about it, one of those good times my instincts was on target.
 
 
Ms. Smith will perform on Friday December 19th,2014  at the private patron,artists and supporters event at the Galerie 1501's Seasoned en Vieux (A Seasoned View)  exhibition.
 
 
Enable images to view "Seasoned en Vieux" Private Showing
 
 
 
 
Her first rendition will be:
 
"Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child"~Henry "Harry" Thacker Burleigh, classical composer, arranger, and professional singer
 

Her  second selection will be:
PRESTO PRESTO, written by: Giovanni Battista Mazzaferrata,

The Italian Ariar

 
 
 
Gwen Smith is a graduate of the world renowned, NEW ORLEANS CENTER FOR THE CREATIVE ARTS of New Orleans, Louisiana.
 
Ms. Smith is a trained Lyric Soprano, in Classical Music. Gwen cantored for many churches around the city. Gwen is a Music Laureate in her own right with her vocal repertoire consist of Latin, Spanish, Italian and German. In the Cultural Community many have referred to her, " Gwen 's voice is the musical "Balm of Gilead" that has the ability to heal the sinned,sick soul".
 
 Another Music Lover state's: "Upon hearing her sing is a tear dropper. The Human Spirit will be touched".
 
A True Artist, Ms. Smith is graciously humbled when audiences come to hear her perform.


 

No comments: